Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Week 87 Sick of Door Knocking, Let's Use Members Instead

This week was pretty great for some of our Investigators.

I don’t know if you remember for not John and Karol. He is a member and she is from Brazil. Well we had not seen them for the last few weeks because John was in the hospital. Well he is out now and we have set up to see them every Monday night and Wednesday night.

On Monday this week we went and planned on teaching The Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is a fairly easy lesson to learn. Most Christians already have that knowledge. So when we taught it to Karol it really made sense to her. We have been dreading the next lesson which is the Word of Wisdom. We always smell a very heavy smoke smell and have seen both of them smoking before we come.

At the end of our lesson about the Gospel, John looks over and says today we gave up smoking. Elder Tewes and I looked at each other in shock!! We did not see it coming!! They decided that morning that they would both give it up together. It is going to make our lesson with them tonight so great!! Karol is going to love it. She wants to give it up because it is unhealthy but once she learns it’s also because God does not want us smoking she will really love giving it up!!

Rob on the other hand is still really struggling to give it up. He is down to 6 a day but can’t go past that. Boy drugs and smoking can really mess up someone’s life. I think 9 out of 10 Aussies smoke. We see everybody smoking. In the car, the house, walking. They do it everywhere. It is so sad that they are all addicted to it!! Rob has decided that it is the fear of stopping that is preventing him. At our last lesson he said it is just going to happen one day. I don’t know how I feel about it just happening because it never just happens but he is trying so we have faith in him.

Last P-day we went with out the AP's and Office Elders to a outdoor laser tag place. They dressed us up in camo and gave us some pretty cool guns. For 4 hours we ran around completing different missions and shooting each other. It was a pretty fun P day activity.

Right now we are like I said last week really trying to figure out how to work with the members so we don’t have to knock on doors. It is useless to knock on a door. It takes 1 in 1000 to get a solid person to teach. I am done wasting time doing that. It is so great working with the members but so frustrating. This week our Bishop met with our Elder Quorum and Relief Society President to go over personal ministering and who to visit. We were invited and in the meeting all three of them talked about this family. The husband is a less active member. His wife is not a member and 4 of the 6 kids are not members. The other ones are still too young. WHY has nobody told us about this family??? We stopped by and it turns out he loves the church, his father is a mission president. After our visit we got invited back and hopefully we will start teaching the family. It was so great!! But what drives me crazy is I have been here for 6 months and nobody thought to tell me to go see this person. Everybody knows him but never told us. Instead I just go knock doors for hours at a time. There is such a better way to do missionary work. The members have all the knowledge of the ward. The missionaries are sent there by the Lord to teach and preach the gospel. The only way they can do both is if they have your help.

Sorry for the rant. I am just really passionate about this subject and we are trying to help both the missionaries in the zone and the members see this. The good news is our Stake President sees it and is on board!!

To get contacts this week we decided to do some GQing. It stands for Golden Question. You walk down a busy street and just start talking to people. It is something that I never have done because it is a bit worse then door knocking. We still have to report good numbers for our area but with all the time we have spent teaching we don’t go finding. We got rebuked for having low contacts even though all of are other numbers were really good. GQing is really fun because you can talk to 10 people in 1 min. So this week we planned our time really wise and we went for 30 mins every other day and got pretty high contacts. Nobody came from it but we got people from the members so it works out.

Missionary work is just so amazing. I love it so much right now!! It is a bit crazy to think it is going to end. I feel like I have been doing this for as long as I can remember now. It is a weird thought to think it ends one day. I am not looking forward to it. I am really interested to see if I get transferred or not. Elder Tewes and I are doing a great job and doing really well so I sorta hope I don’t get transferred but I also am getting tried of the area. Either way I will do what the Lord needs.

Have a great week!!

Love,

Elder Cahoon











No comments:

Post a Comment