Monday, August 28, 2017

Week 52 One Year

What the heck I have been out a year. That went by so fast. It did not feel like a year!! It does not feel real right now. I feel so young but old on the mission. Most people are younger than me now on the mission.

We had a great zone conference full of inspiration on the Book of Mormon and at the end I was talking to my Mission President and he showed me when I am going home and who I am going with.

I will fly into the SLC airport on the 29 of August. The only people leaving the mission will be me, my MTC companion Elder Hansen and Elder Johnson. It is gonna be a fun plane ride home. But I am not thinking about it yet. I still have a year to go.

So the coolest thing happened on the day I hit my year mark. We had a fireside at our chapel for the Gold Coast stake and the Coomera stake. That means all the members from Beenleigh were there. It was so fun to see everyone and catch up with them.

The best part though was the speakers that came to talk to everyone. The only one we knew that would be there was John Bytheway. When I was up north in Charters and Ary he was the only way we survived the long car drives. He is so funny and wise in his knowledge of the church. It was so fun to see him and meet him at the end. While our stake president was announcing who would be speaking he announced that Emily Freemen would be speaking. When I heard the name I thought to my self, I know that name. Why do I know that name?? As soon as I saw her stand up I knew exactly who she was. She was my seminary teacher when we lived in Europe and I went to school with her kids. I ran up at the end to say hello. She remembered me and with a big smile said, “Spencer!! My seminary student.” It was so fun to talk to her and she took us over to John and we got to talk with him too. It was quite the way to celebrate being out one year!!

The other great experience we had on my year mark day was doing service for Ben Hannet. To give you an idea who he is imagine a ex-NFL football player who has won heaps of super bowls. He is so famous over here. He is a member who lives in our ward. So on Sundays we see him but today we got to do service for him and really get to know him. Geez he is broken. He cannot touch his knees or shoulders with his hands because his body is so broken. It is a brutal sport. We did some yard work for him and on Sunday we will be having dinner with him and he wants to give us training gear from one of the teams he played for. How cool is that. He is quite the guy.

Right now all of our investigators are just coasting by. We really want them to progress but things are hard. Shelia is still on coffee but is down to one cup. Jessie is just to busy for church and Celia is always sick. Oh the ups and downs of the mission are just great!

Elder Sharma and I are going ok. Not much to talk about again this week. It was just a normal slow week in the Gold Coast. We are hoping it starts to pick up as we work harder and pray with more faith.

I love you all. I can’t believe it has been a year. I officially can say on this day next year I will not be on a mission. How weird is that to think about. So crazy!! Time is flying.

Love, 
Elder Cahoon












 Ben Hannet

 Elder Sharma, Ben Hannet, Elder Cahoon

 Emily Freeman Spencer's seminary teacher

Spencer's stake president

1 comment: