Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Week 6 - End of transfer one --Following the spirit

Ahh I got one transfer under my belt. What a good week. It started off with a trade off. The elders from Townsville came up. One took my comp and I was with the zone leader. He is from Africa. Elder Mtabela. He's a really good guy. We had lots of fun and taught some really good lessons. At one, the man we were teaching said he sometimes opens his bible to a random page and reads a verse and it always is perfect for what he is going though. At the beginning I was prompted to pull out my scriptures. I had no clue what scripture to share but then he said that and I trusted in the spirit. I said, “Lets try that right now.” So I started flipping and he told me when to stop. I had one scripture marked on that page and read it! It went perfectly along with what we were teaching and with what he shared!! Hahaha ahhh I loved it so much!!

Later on in the week we finished all of our set lessons and it was 8:30 and we had 30 minutes to find. We didn't have anything planned so we sat at a corner and wrote stuff down in our planners. Then a girl walked passed and we started to talk to her. It was all casual and then it got spiritual. She was interested in what we had to say and wanted to meet the next day to learn more. Then my comp said, "Can we sing you a song." WHAT?? It is 9:00 at night on a dark corner and you want to sing this stranger a song. So we sang and she laughed but said it was awesome. We gave her a pamphlet and went to bed. The next day we meet her at a park and she had the pamphlet opened and it looked worn out. She had read it!! Nobody reads it!! So we were so excited!! She had lots of questions and loved to think that we lived with Heavenly Father before we came here. We haven’t set a date yet because we left to go to Charters Towers, but when we get back she is going to be ready! She doesn’t even smoke or drink or even swear!! So she is perfect!! Oh her name is Mariah by the way. 21 single mom with a daughter.

I talked about following the spirit before and man this week I was so in tune. I have always struggled to tell if it is the spirit or me, but this week I was really able to know and follow it. We had had the longest most unsuccessful day ever! Rejection after rejection. Over and over. I was so tired and done and then we came across a man who was on the phone. He said, “Just a minute I can talk it a sec.” So we waited and waited and waited and then he came back and said, “This is going to be awhile so come back tomorrow.” So we continued down the road knocking and after a few houses down this man on the phone. (Steven) yelled down, “I'm done. Can you talk now?” So we hurried back up to him and started to get to know him. He said he has lots of questions about God and church and such. His father passed away recently and all he can think about is him and if he will see him again. This poor guy has fallen into the drug life and has had it hard. He told us he felt trapped and doesn't know what to do. So we started to talk about the gospel of Jesus Christ. He lit up and loved every word we said. As we briefly went over the gospel I felt prompted to ask him to be baptized. I thought, “What, no way, he is just hearing about this for the first time.” When I said briefly, it was just that. We had not gone into any details at all but I followed the spirit and he is set for December 17. When I popped the question he loved it and was so excited to be forgiven of all his past. He also told us that December 17 is his birthday. I had no clue. When he told us that we all just started to laugh. Man it was one of the most spiritual moments so far. He is really awesome. The only thing that scares me just a bit is when we told Brother Yip about him. Brother Yip is a policeman and as soon as we said his name he said, “Man watch out for him. We know that family very well.” I guess the drugs hit that family hard and also robbery and theft. So he said, “Hold on to your wallets.” Sooooo that is scary to know, but Steven wants to change and was really nice to us. He gave us a Coke and over all didn't seem too bad.

That is how a lot of the people are that we teach. Brother Yip knows them. But when I think about it, it is those people that need the gospel the most. So I don’t need to be scared. Mary and her son Ashley are in the same boat as Steven. Crystal meth has hit her hard and she is done. She never thought she would be a struggling single mom addicted to drugs. She hit rock bottom too. I think I already shared this, but she texted us, “How can I join your church?” So we have been talking and teaching her and she is also set on Dec 17. She also wants her 9 year old son to be baptized so we talked with him and he wants to also.

Andrew and Brook were away at the hospital for their son so we were unable to teach them a proper lesson, but we saw them right as we were leaving and told him when we get back we need to meet everyday and really work with you too meet your date. He was down. So in two weeks we are really going to work with him. He still wants to be baptized because he was part of that drug life. Since he has had a son he wants to be a good example and not lead or see his son go down that path so he is still doing really good!

The Olsens has us over for dinner and we ate kangaroo!!! Oh ya, kangaroo!! And boy howdy was it delicious. When you buy kangaroo you don't know what part it is so whatever I was eating it was good. It was like stake but better. More tasty and overall good! The Olsens are so fun and we enjoyed dinner with them and teaching them. I used my great grandpas creed as part of the lesson. It talked about living what we preach and setting a good example. They are going to live in Utah in a few years so I can’t wait to show them around the place.

I love this gospel so much! It is so fun to share and see people who want to change and be better. For all you future missionaries get ready! I don’t go into all the struggles we have but when you see the person you are teaching feel the spirit and that love, it makes it all worth it!!

The transfer ended this week and I am staying in Ayr and Charters Towers with my same comp. Before the senior couple went home this week they found some bikes for us here in Charters Towers so we don't have to use a bike rack and bring the bikes back and forth. But they need some work! New tires, chain, breaks. So I need to go get that fixed.

I’m sad to leave Ayr and such good people and potentials. Charters Towers is always fun to go to. There are less people, but it is more outback with kangaroos and wild things, so I cope with leaving. It does make it hard to keep people progressing when we leave. They sorta forget about us even though we call. It is just hard. We could have maybe had a baptism in Ayr by now if we were there the full 6 weeks. Oh well, at least we are teaching people. It has taught me to follow up and it is pushing me to work.

Ok so I am writing this part 3 hours after writing the top part. Got the bikes fixed, food in the fridge, and whites shirts all hung up. Crazy day!!

I want to address some of my family and loving cousins concerns about my helmet not being on while riding my bike. Haha Don’t worry I wear it when we go more than a block but if it is just close then I don't bother. Like when we are going door to door I don't wear it since I am only on the bike for 30 seconds. I am safe and I always am looking out for myself. I love that you guys love me so much as to tell me to put it on!! Thanks so much, I will!!

Love,
Elder Cahoon


 District meeting using Skype









Eating kangaroo




Letters from cousins


No comments:

Post a Comment