Monday, April 23, 2018

Week 85 Elder Cardon

Well this week went by so quick. Everyday was full of an eventful thing!!

We started with Mission Leadership Conference on Tuesday. Elder Cardon from the Seventy was there. He really wanted to get a feel for our mission so he had us do things as we always do but often we would say something and he would ask a question or give insight. When we stood accountable for our zone we were super glad the sisters baptized a family. Our zone goal was six but with this family we reported nine. Elder Cardon asked, “Elder what did you do? You got more than your goal...” It was pretty cool!!

One thing Elder Cardon taught us was five words that Elder Holland HATES!! "I'm sorry to disturb you." He gave some remarks on how a servant is one who serves others. A king is one who you don’t bother, but in the church we are all servants. As missionaries or even as a General Authority you must never get to busy with things that we think are important. We must make sure we never forget that we are here to serve. It really hit me hard. I find that I get "too busy" with non important things and could spend more time helping out the elders around me or serving people. It opened my mind to simplify my life.

The next day we went back to a Zone Conference where he was presiding. Right before the conference started Elder Cardon pulled me aside for an interview. He wanted to talk and get to know me. It was a pretty cool moment to be able to talk and ask a Seventy questions. I could really tell that he is very humble and is great at listening to the spirit. He shared a cool experience where he was with one of the 12 Apostle learning how they assign missions to people. He shared that this Apostle (I cant remember who) would sit at a screen with a picture of the future elder or sister with information on them and then look at a screen with all the missions. He was able to get through a lot of people quicker than you would think but on one occasion he could not figure out where this elder should go.. So they skipped him. Later when they were doing other people he said, “Australia Brisbane mission.” He said, “That is where the elder needs to go that I could not figure out.” After telling this story he said the Apostle said, “Let me take a moment to explain that I only speak when the Lord needs me to speak.” I have really tried to listen to the spirit and speak what he is saying.

The next day after this we had some time after our deep clean to knock some doors. That morning I prayed that the Lord would loose my tongue so I could teach and testify to people. Well be careful what you pray for. I testify that He listens and answers prayers. As we were knocking a man started to try and tell us what we believe. It was a load of crap what he was saying. It had truth in all of it but it was out of context and wrong. He already knew about Joseph Smith but thought there was no way he was a good man. He read all this bad on him. Bottom line yeah we all make mistakes but look at the good.

The whole time it was not bashful or contentious in anyway but his heart was not open. I really was listening for the spirit because I had no clue how to help this man. I started to bare my testimony and he stopped me and said, “How?” "Well by the Holy Spirit... You said yourself that the Holy Spirit touched our heart and now you have hardened it to the truth." I don’t remember everything else I said but I was pretty bold in what I said. I felt it coming from the spirit though. I was not upset or dismayed. I loved when we got into the car Elder Tewes leaned over and said, “Wow your tongue was loosed.” haha We both felt a strong spirit testify to us that the church is true. This man was not open to find out for himself. We really wanted to share D&C 3:4 with him because it would have just been so bold, but we did not want to be mean. The whole thing was all really nice with the spirit. We were not there to contend but to testify.

I am always really excited for the future. Elder Tewes and I are staying another transfer together and we are getting some really good missionaries in the zone. One of them is Elder Top from Gold Coast. I am super excited to work with him!! He is a great elder!!

I will end with my testimony that God knows us by name. I know that he listens to our prayers and wants to reach out to him. I challenge all of you to grow a deeper relationship with our Heavenly Father through prayer. He wants to hear us. He wants to help us. We just need to ask and thank Him!!

I love you all and have a great week!!












No comments:

Post a Comment